The Castle is tracing back to the 14th century and was rebuilt in the 18th century by the famous architect Johann Conrad Schlaun to his current form. The property is owned by the family von Nagel since 1540. There are two islands in the artificial moat. On one are the castle and the manor house. On the other are the main farm buildings.
In 1954 the entrepreneur Carl Fastenrath leased the property and started to build his own breeding operation under the name Gestuet Quenhorn. At the beginning it was planned to keep just his own breeding stock, the policy changed within the following years and the stud became one of the leading boarding studs in Germany. Leading breeders like Walter Vischer and the Ostermann family (since then they name their stud after the castle) kept their horses on the farm.
have been raised and grazed at Schlossgut Itlingen
"Die Spaetlese" became one of the leading sales beside the BBAG when it first took place place in the park of Schlossgut Itlingen in 1986. Top class horses like the Classic Winners ALKALDE and HIGHNESS LADY have been sold there until 1991, the year when the lease to the Fastenrath family came to an end.